A Complete Guide to the DS 64 Passport Form

The DS 64 passport form is a document you will hopefully never need to use. International travelers are only required to use this form if they need to replace a lost passport or report a stolen document. No traveler wants to go through the hassle of having to report a stolen passport before, during or after their trip abroad. However, if you know what to do before these instances occur, you can save yourself time and money if you ever actually need to use this document and report your misplaced passport.

The passport DS 64 form is available for individuals in various predicaments to utilize. While the circumstances that cause a resident to fill out this document are troubling, the form itself is simple to complete. In fact, DS-64 is short and direct, which helps to lessen some of the stress that applicants may feel during this time. While replacing a lost or stolen passport may seem overwhelming, the process is straightforward and, as a result, simple to complete. The sections below explain how applicants can obtain these documents and where they need to submit their requests once they have finished filling out their forms.

How to Report a Lost or Stolen Passport

Before you decide to apply for a US passport replacement, you should report your documents as missing. This is a critical first step that you need to complete in order to lessen the chances that you will become the victim of identity theft. While you can submit the DS 64 passport form to indicate that your documents were lost or stolen, this is not the only way you can relay this information to the federal government. You may also report your documents as stolen or lost by visiting the U.S. State Department’s official website. Alternatively, you may call the department’s toll-free phone number to report this information.

Regardless, remember that you are not obligated to fill out a replacement passport application the moment you realize your documents are gone. However, it is in your best interest to report this information to government authorities as soon as you notice that you do not have your documents anymore. Keep in mind that reporting a stolen or lost US passport is not the same as requesting a new document. To apply for a new passport, you must fill out Form DS-11 and submit your completed application at one of the country’s numerous passport office locations.

When should I use the DS 64 form?

Individuals may only use the federal DS 64 form once they have lost their passports or notice that someone has stolen their documents. Likewise, it does not matter if applicants are using this form to report a lost or stolen passport in the United States or abroad. However, applicants need to remember that this is not the form they need to use if they believe their passports were lost in the mail. In these circumstances, residents need to use US passport application form DS-86 to report that they never received their documents.

Where to Find the DS 64 Passport Form

Whether you are wondering how to replace a lost passport or get a new document after yours was stolen, you should first obtain a copy of the DS-64 form. This is especially true if you do not want to report the status of your documents online or by phone. If you have access to a reliable internet connection, you can obtain a copy of the lost passport form DS 64 online. This document is available on the U.S. Department of State’s website. On this website, you can fill out a PDF version of the DS 64 passport form. However, keep in mind that with this document, you need to print out a copy of the form and fill out your information by hand. Unlike other passport applications, there is no alternative way to enter your information into this document.

What information do I need to submit with Form DS 64?

Although DS-64 is technically not a US passport application, there is specific information that you must include along with your form in order for the government to process your request. This is a standard procedure that helps passport officials to properly evaluate your claim. The only important additional document you must submit along with your application is a government-issued photo identification.

However, there are specific questions that applicants must answer when they decide to submit a DS 64 passport form. Therefore, individuals should be prepared to provide the following information when completing their requests:

  • Item identification: Applicants must disclose which passports they no longer have, such as either the passport card or passport book. Additionally, individuals need to report if their documents were lost or stolen.
  • Personal information: As with many government forms, individuals need to report their names, birthdates, Social Security Numbers (SSNs) and places of birth. Likewise, applicants also need to provide contact information, such as their current addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
  • Passport information: Applicants need to provide information about how their passports were lost or stolen. They must also disclose if they reported these thefts to the local police, where these events took place and when they believe these events took place.

It is imperative that applicants answer all of these DS 64 form questions as honestly as possible. If individuals do not provide accurate information, they risk jeopardizing their chances of having their passport documents reinstated, which could hinder their future travel plans.

Where do I submit my completed DS 64 form?

There are two options for residents who would like to submit their DS 64 documents to the federal government. Furthermore, the method that applicants choose depends on whether or not they are applying for replacement documents at the same time or not. If applicants simply want to report their lost or stolen passport, they must mail their forms and proof of photo identification to the U.S. Department of State at the following address:

U.S. Department of State
44132 Mercure Cir.
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, Virginia 20166

On the other hand, if you want to replace a stolen passport card or your lost passport book, you may do so by submitting DS-64 with a new passport application form. Specifically, you can file your DS-64 notice alongside DS-11, the form that child applicants and first-time adult applicants need to submit when they request passports. However, be aware that you will need to submit this document at a passport office in your local community. Often, these service centers are located in post offices or other government buildings.